Friday, October 06, 2006

Why couldn't I have been born a fish?

I see people swim effortlessly and I stare in envy. I think there are people who are just naturally swimmers. They smile when they come to the pool, they slip into the water as if it were their natural environment, they eloquently and yet speedily move up and back in their swim lanes. In my mind, these are people whose parents drove them to swim practice everyday since they were 5.

When I enter the water, I do so with dread. I'm reminded of the dreadful swim lessons I took as a child at the Aquatic Club where I learned little outside of how to make the time pass without having to swim. It is unnatural for me to be in the water, I am a land animal but perhaps this is why I enjoy the Sysophean task of trying to improve my swim leg in the triathlon. I have good days, and bad days in the water but each day I work toward the goal of swimming effortlessly like the person in the next lane. If I couldn't be born a fish, all I ask is that I do the best human imitation.