Sunday, October 01, 2006

I'm Lost

I'm lost in my off-season. For the last 9-plus months I have gotten up every morning and had a plan. Lift weights, swim, ride to work. Long-run. Bike 55 miles, run 10 miles. Hill ride, swim.

This is the off-season. A time I am dedicating to recovery, base building, and form in the pool. It is suggested to run, bike, and swim twice a week in the off-season. The problem is, I'm addicted to endorphins. While I know my 44-year old body needs to rest and recover (I'd love not to carry my ITBS into next season) it is really difficult to get a rush out of this limited phase of exercise. My runs are supposed to be less than an hour but it's hard not to go longer when the weather is ideal and I feel great.

I struggle against myself....is there a 12-step program for endorphin addiction?