Monday, July 21, 2008

To sign up or not to sign up

I'll admit, I went to bed very iffy that I would get up this morning and attempt to register for the 2009 race. I do not think I could have competed in the downpour that participants endured yesterday. It is difficult enough to race at this distance but add the possibility of being miserable the entire time--no good thoughts there.

I have a theory about Lake Placid. For every year that it is beautiful on race day, the probability of the next year being miserable weather is rather high. Based on that theory, I got up at 6 and found myself walking toward the registration line at 7.

It was easy to overcome my anxiety about the downpour and potential for repeat. As I walked down Mirror Lake Drive I saw something I did not expect. Yes, triathletes and particularly Ironman triathletes are type-A (myself included) but there before me was a line that snaked for well over a half-mile--all people lined up to sign up for the 2009 race. I transitioned from convincing myself to compete to competition mode only this competition was for a slot.

I admit, I did attempt to count heads to see if I would get a slot. I left it in the hands of fate but I had little confidence that it would happen. The door opened at 9--mercifully it was a beautiful day and I did not have to wait in the rain for two hours. The process went quickly and smoothly. I was number 2,289 out of 2,500--while close, I am in for 2009. Giddyup!