Friday, April 04, 2008

Inspiration from a 4 legged friend


As today is a day of rest, I will share some unfortunate news in our household. My long-time running partner of 9 years, Della, was diagnosed with bone cancer. The cancer is on her right hip and while she is in considerable discomfort, I have no doubt that she would at this very moment willingly head out the door with me on a run.


Over the last two years, I have only run with her when I was recovering from an injury figuring that her aging body would keep me from going too fast. Our last run was not very long ago, in fact it was my first run on March 1 subsequent to my foot surgery. She proudly paced me and smiled the entire way.


Della's running days are over and even as we learn of information on her condition, options for palliative care and life expectancy, she still smiles at me pining for an invitation to join me when I lace up my running shoes. She cannot tell me how much pain she is in but I'm pretty sure my aches and pains are de minimis in comparison. I will treasure the days that remain and, with a smile on my face, I will always reflect fondly on our runs.