Saturday, April 19, 2008

A bad day to be a bug

A four hour ride on tap for today and the weather could not have been more perfect. We started out with arm warmers but quickly shed them in the 70 degree air.

There were several bug incidents. First, while going downhill at 35 mph a bee hit me just to the left of my mouth. That was quite painful and left a bit of a mark but I did not, mercifully, connect with the stinger. Later, while in the aero position I took out a monarch butterfly no doubt on its inaugural flight of its life. It somehow just caught my shoulder and dropped flutterlessly to the ground. A short time later, I had unzipped my shirt because I was hot. Sure enough, again in the aero position, I trapped what I thought was another bee in my bra. I stopped immediately and fished it out, grateful to know that it was only a beetle.

It was very windy today so a great day to practice balance. It also proved refreshing in the first hot day of the season. My black shorts were intensely radiating the sun's rays.

After our ride, I went on a 15 minute brick run. While I was away there was more drama involving bugs. Apparently a police officer had dropped off another biker in the parking lot who got a bug stuck in her ear and was bleeding. Kind of gross. The poor woman had to go to the emergency room to get it flushed out.

Tomorrow, I hope a long run in the neighborhood of 90 minutes.