Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Always competing

Up at 4:30 AM today, slightly before the alarm. After the usual abs and pushups I hopped on the bike for an hour. Today was a brick which to date I have run in reverse--run first, bike second. Tempting to do it today given the 42 degree air temperature and my sweaty head but I rode first then ran for 25 minutes.

All things considered, the brick felt pretty good. Perhaps the cold air helped me focus on getting it done vs. focusing on what hurt. I came upon my neighbor as I was running. She was about 300 yards in front of me and for several minutes I contemplated trying to catch her. I am used to being the one passing people but as of late I get passed. I resigned to defeat without any effort, my neighbor unaware of the potential for competition. It would have been easy to sneak up on her from a distance if I had my normal running legs but alas today I had to settle for what my body can give me.

Tomorrow, I think I will head back to the pool in an attempt to get my three swims in before the weekend.