Friday, March 14, 2008

No rest for the weary

Normally today would be a rest day but I am heading out west for 4 days and my workout is a bit mixed up to compensate.

Today, I had my longest run yet. It remains very, very slow. Achieving a 9 minute mile pace is both depressing and contrarily elating--I have never been so slow but again, I am running. The foot is not great but I continue to remain hopeful. I'm noticing some imbalances in my form which need to be corrected before I injure something else.

After my run I headed to the gym for a swim. Kind of a mistake to get into the pool after running with only a 100 calorie intake. Not surprisingly, the swim was difficult.

I had a large number of errands and some cooking to do. We were having company and I was preparing a nice meal. All the while my carrot and stick approach was that I would get on my bike for an hour outside. By then it was 60 degrees and I was jonesing to get spinning. Eventually I did take my old bike out to make sure it is ready to start commuting to work. It was a short spin but one that did involve a fair amount of speed. An enjoyable tease I would say.

Tomorrow, weather cooperating, back outside for a long bike ride.