Friday, June 15, 2007

Today's Workout: Happy Campers

Up at 5:45 AM today. My hotel is on Main St so it is rather loud when the bars let out. I didn't sleep great.

I grabbed a bagel and went down to the lake to take some photos of the course. There was a light fog over the lake and mountains, otherwise the water was like glass. It was a beautiful sight that I only hope was captured by the camera.

Today we started with a 56 mile ride reversing the bike course. Immediately, I had to stop and Troy Jacobson lowered my seat. The two inch gain from the bike fitter proved too extreme. While my hip felt good, it was entirely too high and I knew I could not ride like that.

The course had a fair amount of early downhill but lots of potholes so riding was not great. I, of course, enjoyed the uphill. Particularly the 6 miles of uphill where I was passing everyone. The group was burning the course at a pretty good clip. I rode with a few different people, including Troy Jacobson and some of the other coaching staff. It was a good day, perfect weather.

When we came back we ran around the lake. KR and I ran together at a slow pace, not burning anything given the days ahead. I snuck in a 20 minute nap before our 2 pm swim. I wanted to swim 2.4 miles today but Troy only allowed us to swim for 40 minutes. For me that was one lap. I was on the rope not expending any extra mileage by swimming wide. I finished 1.2 miles in 41 minutes. This was a great time for me but it was slowed by the woman I was drafting ahead of me. She kept slowing down then speeding up, that was difficult to adjust to but I liked drafting so I stayed with her. I was very calm and comfortable in the swim. The water was perfect, my breathing comfortable, it was like swimming with a pull buoy which I could do all day.

We later had a meeting on nutrition which was interesting and terrifying at the same time. I'm just guessing at my nutrition for the full Ironman. I know what I need to do for the half-Ironman but that is all of the intelligence that I have to work with. Hopefully, that is enough.

Tomorrow, 112 miles on the bike--the full bike course. This should help give me an idea of what I need to do. I have two peanut butter sandwiches, shot bloks, gel, salt tablets and 4 bottles for my bike. No doubt I will have to supplement off of the support vehicle. KR and I agreed to ride the course conservatively. If anything when we finish we want to be able to say we could have taken it out faster vs imploding on the course.