Thursday, June 21, 2007

Today's Workout: For strong stomachs only

Up at 4:30 AM, abs then off to the pool.

As I enter the locker room there is a sign on the door that the pool was closed Wednesday evening due to "vomitus" in the water. Do we need details, really. After the appropriate sanitization procedures were employed (allegedly) the pool was reopened for use this morning. The Masters were in the pool at 5:40 AM but no one wanted to be the first in the water. Finally, we all jumped in and started our workout. After 200 meters the guys in my lane saw floaties of the wonderbread variety. "Everybody out of the pool" bellowed our swim coach.

Later, when the pool director showed up she told me that she had spent the evening before working on the chemicals and had left the guards to vacuum the pool. No offense, it just seems to me if you are the pool director you stay and supervise the pool vacuuming at a minimum. "Don't worry, Liz", she said, "the chunks were sanitized". Comforting, very comforting.

So well short of my swim workout I will return to the pool tomorrow. Most likely not the Y pool but another pool in the neighborhood. Meanwhile, for today, I was able to ride in on a glorious, non-humid morning.