Tuesday, January 16, 2007

To group, or not to group

I have spent all of my triathlon training alone. Every year since 2003 I swam, biked, and ran thousands of training miles by myself. It is both something I look forward to and something I hate. It is both incredibly lonely and fulfilling in its self awareness and self sufficiency. It is both smart and poor training strategy.

I admit, that I could benefit greatly by training with athletes who are better than I am. There is nothing like a little push or the spirit of competition to push you well into the uncomfortable z4 or z5. I have entered into the foray of group training twice this year and I can see the benefits but still I am hesitant. Why, you might ask? Two reasons: I worry my competetive nature will push me into a pace that could cause injury. I'm pretty good at pushing myself into the uncomfortable but I also think I'm sensible about my workouts. I respect the slow, measured recovery rate of a 44 year old. The second reason, no offense gals, you chat too much.

This morning as I was running I passed a half-dozen women also running. I run at 5:30 AM, it is peaceful and I use that peacefulness to slowly work into my day. As I passed the women, there were three (if not more distinct) conversations going on at once. Chat, chat, chat--I can't stand it. I not only like quiet I am not afraid or uncomfortable when I am with others and there is no conversation. Over the course of many races, I have competed in both coed and women-only races. Invariably, the women are chatty whereas the men are just concentrating on moving you out of their way to get ahead. Once in an all-woman triathlon I was bumped during the swim. No big deal. The woman stopped and apologized. I'm swimming, no chatting--no need to apologize.

I recognize I cannot train for an Ironman alone, so group I must. I'm just hoping to find the right mix of training partners--not too chatty, faster then I am in all disciplines, and cognizant of my old age.