Saturday, May 30, 2009

Zooma Half-marathon Eve

Final preparations are underway for JB's first half-marathon. It looks like it is going to be a glorious day for a run, 60's low humidity climbing to 80 later in the day. A duplicate of the beautiful weather we are having today.

I just spent some time putting my "chip" on my shoe. Chip is a term of art apparently, it's like running with half a credit card weaved into your laces. How they think this is comfortable I do not know. I also customized my race number (i.e. made it smaller with my handy scissors). We are intending to wear our fuel belts tomorrow. The aid stations are few and far between so we thought it best to bring our own nourishment, keep it simple. The extra weight added will be irrelevant--especially as we pass the gaggle of women at the infrequent aid stations.

Today I enjoyed, somewhat, a two mile lake swim followed by 45 miles of easy riding. A few hills but not what I was itching for. My plan tomorrow is to finish the race, turn around on the course and go run the last few miles with JB. Not that she will need encouragement to get home, I think she will be plenty stoked to finish. My advice on race strategy for her is to celebrate every mile--the hard work is in the bank, this is all about the celebratory march home. This will be the furthest she has ever run in her life and I'm really proud of her for the accomplishment.....anyone see a marathon or Ironman in the future?

Tomorrow's post will be from the new half-marathoner herself, and sorry, no pictures. As we are both running we couldn't figure out where on our fuel belt to carry the 35mm.