Sunday, May 04, 2008

St. Croix 70.3 Race Report


Don't ever do this race. Yes, the swim to the start (i.e., Island) which is pictured looks lovely but that is when the weather is normal, predictably the day after the race.

The Beast (a legendary 7/10ths of a mile climb at 21% grade) is nothing compared to the last 35 miles on the bike. But let me start at the beginning. During the practice swim in 2 to 3 foot swells I decided I was approaching this as a training day, no PR would be practical. Thus, I raced without my watch and I only know my final time, not my splits. Finishing at 8:01, a full hour and 35 minutes off of my normal time was discouraging but the best I could do. I found Ironman Lake Placid easier.

The swim was, amazingly enough, my best discipline. I was right on the buoys, relaxed (emphasis added), and although the 40 foot deep channel was trying to pull me off course it failed. This was my most difficult open ocean swim but using 3-2 breathing, I have never been so calm.

The bike was a nightmare. First there was a complete downpour during the first 10 miles. The roads were flooded and I hydroplaned on my zipps at least 3 times. I am still not sure how I did not go down. The roads are pitch and tar, and laden with giant potholes throughout the entire course (a little difficult to see with flooded roads). It was windy early on but not too bad. At the beast I had a zig zagger in front of me. Half of the road was usable. As I went for a pass, I was cut off and lost all momentum. The walk of shame began. To be honest I am not sure I would have made it up. I climb in my saddle and due to the pitch you had to be out of the saddle almost the entire time. As a lesson, I think I will practice both in training.

The rest of the course featured wicked winds that shutdown forward momentum and made many riders spill with unpredictable cross winds. Between road rash, broken bones and flat tires, this course ate through the field. At mile marker 35 I remember thinking I would under normal circumstances be off the bike by that point in time. I did make it back to transition with many near falls behind me but I did not want to go out on the run.

Since mile 10 on the bike I was battling stomach cramps and I was forcing fluid and some food but my nutrition was way off. I remember 3 things that motivated me...Jacki kept yelling I could do it even though I was cursing otherwise, MJ told me to remember I was an Ironman, and Troy Jacobsen's line-are you quitting because you want to or you have to-replayed in my head. Rats. It was ugly-hot as haetes, my leg hurt, I immediately developed a blister the entire width of my forefoot because my feet were soaked. My original plan was to walk thru every other aid station. Scratch that. Running...so to speak...between every aid station, I walked through them and walked up the steepest hills. This method brought my stomach back and the ample ice on the course kept me from over heating.

So I finished and it was ugly, but I learned a ton and have never, ever dug deeper. Unlike the trend for this race, I will not sign up again next year. I am proud to have enjoyed the swim. It was by no means fast but it was very relaxing and to me that is my bigger obstacle. I'll take the finisher medal and charish it above all others not for any spectacular display of athleticism but instead for winning the battle of the mind that desperately wanted to quit.