Thursday, December 27, 2007

The missing gift

I did not find a box of "swim faster" under the Christmas tree, my hopes dashed again. I feel regression in the pool. I am swimming slower and I have no capacity for distance. I swam on Sunday and between my own inability and a rather big boned guy next to me who kept swamping my lane no matter what side I was breathing it was a frustrating day.

Today I tried to redeem myself by getting back in the pool but the Y refused to open the pool until 6:30 AM. Hugely inconvenient to those of us who work for a living. I will sacrifice my evening schedule to get my swim in but to say that I am not pleased at the inconvenience is an understatement. Hopefully, I find a comfort zone between the new breathing and changes to my stroke.

Meanwhile, I have my weight workouts in the can for the week and some good biking albeit on the trainer. Last night I finished my second run of the week and although the gastrocnemius and sciatic are bothersome, I was moving with nearly my PR fluidity. It felt so good. Alas, the real challenge....da swim, da swim.