Monday, June 15, 2009

This is what separates the Women from the Girls a.k.a. the Thoroughbreds from the Stable Ponies

Six weeks to the Lake Placid Ironman….

JJB writes....Ok, so it’s right about now that the training schedules of the Bennetowne household diverge. The early part of the season, Liz and I were spending much of our training hours side by side, as we both readied ourselves for the ½ marathon at the end of May. My previous posting about the importance of having someone to train beside and understanding the different roles each plays is still relevant. But my rant about needing to have some kudos for spending what seemed as endless hours in the saddle and pounding the pavement now feels unwarranted – a little. While my schedule has me running mini triathlons on Saturday (complete with a dip in the pond a few hours in the bike saddle, followed by a handful of miles on the pavement), Liz’s schedule has her in the pond followed by an 18 mile run. The next day while I’m indoors on the trainer for an hour rocking to REO Speedwagon and Foreigner, she’s on her bike in the Shenandoah mountains for 5 ½ hours followed by a 45 minute run! I can’t even pretend to be able to keep up that kind of training schedule.

And thus, this is where the thoroughbreds of the sport trudge onwards and EARN the right to wear the M-Dot of the Ironman. Don’t misunderstand me; I still have my role to play in the road to becoming an Ironman. My “honey do” lists are getting longer as I become chief care-taker and babysitter of the Vizslas and my command of the grocery list is improving as the weekends count down to the Race. And I will now begin to rally the Lake Placid on-site support team by creating matching “Go Lizzy Go” t-shirts (this means breaking out the ironing board and hours of heat transferring homemade decals), and arranging and communicating out group dinner reservations via the Go Lizzy Go email address. By the way, if anyone is interested in getting on the Go Lizzy Go mailing list to keep apprised of events leading up to and including the week of the Race, please email golizzygo@gmail.com. All of these responsibilities are playing a part in keeping the Ironman focused on her training and recovery.

When I stop to think about the hours of mental focus and physical training Liz is now in the midst of I tear up with pride and with awe. Anyone who has lived and loved an Ironman understands that it takes true partnership to reach the goal but in the end I am clear as to who really EARNS the title of Ironman.