Monday, June 29, 2009

How deep can you dig?

Saturday I swam two miles in the lake, rode 101 miles alone, then ran for 30 minutes. The solitude was painful. If you have never spent 6 hours and 35 minutes alone trying to distract yourself from the pain of what you are doing and keeping alert enough to maintain proper nutrition and form sufficient enough to stay on top of the bike, don't do it.

12 hours later with 6 hours of sleep, I attempted a 20 mile run. Notice the modifier in that sentence. Both of my knees hurt just like they did at LP two years ago but my right one hurt where the dude at Big L's graduation tweaked it. I made it through 10 miles digging deeper and deeper. I even tried the run 10 minutes walk 1 minute, all to no avail. I had to abandon my run.

The good news, I was able to watch most of JB's triathlon. The bad news, I wasn't able to run with her. Earlier she had gleefully boasted how the run course was downhill and I chose not to burst that bubble. Instead, I planned to run the two monstah hills with her after logging my 20. JB didn't need me. She dug deep on her own and had a spectacular day on the race course. There is a little bit of Iron in her and I know she feels it.

28 days until race day, here is hoping the mental challenge of training alone pulls me through the 26 mile run. Instead of focusing on a strong run and 14 or sub-14 hour performance I may need to shift my goal to just finishing. Alas, it is too early to give up just yet....but I have a bit of worry brewing and time she is running short.