Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The black flies of the Adirondacks live

Just returning from a weekend of training at Lake Placid. To say that the ice may have just thawed on Mirror Lake is only a slight exaggeration. It is rather chilly, perhaps 62 degrees if I had to guess. My hands were purple after 45 minutes of swimming--I think that speaks for itself.

The riding was pretty good. Crews are paving the downhill section of the course but I was able to get in 91 miles on the remaining section, all in pretty good shape but definite signs of a NY winter. It was stunningly beautiful and this in and of itself is a great distraction to the pain you feel climbing the numerous hills. I ate a few bugs here and there but noticeably absent were the black flies that hit you in the face, ride your draft and then painfully bite you. Absent, that is, until I rolled back into town and right outside of the hotel I was bit twice in the arse. It wouldn't be June in the Adirondacks without them.

My plan has me on the downhill from here in. Seems a bit early to start tapering and I'm trying to be a believer. I definitely felt strong on my 91 mile ride and 3 mile run after but the mind, always so full of doubts.

Back in the humidity for an hour run today, hitting the pool tomorrow which will seem like an artesian bath compared to Mirror Lake.