Thursday, August 17, 2006

A family Tri

Each of the last three years, I have competed in the Cazenovia Triathlon. It's a beautiful course--a clear and calm lake, a hilly country ride, a hilly run that puts you up on a bluff overlooking the lake. It was the second triathlon I competed in (ever) and the one that convinced me to pursue the sport further. Instead of the 42 minute 800 meter swim from my first race, this swim was completed in less than half that time and with members of my heat still in the water--I was not second to last.

Last year the race came 5 days after my Dad passed and my Mom asked me to compete in it for him. My entire family came. It was the first time my Mom saw me compete--definitely a special day. Although I had no energy to compete hard, I did finish the race in the same time as the year before thanks to a push from my Dad. I asked him for help up the big hills and he delivered.

This year, I tried to convince my family to put together some relay teams but I was unsuccessful in persuading them. Nonetheless, my partner, JB, signed up for the race--her first foray into the triathlon world. She has witnessed the camaraderie among athletes as a specatator and now she will experience it firsthand as a participant. At the end of the day, she may be sore and tired but I think she will walk away with a huge sense of accomplishment and pride at having competed in what I think is a very difficult sprint course. I'm proud of her for competing and I welcome her to the tri-world (albeit I have no expectation that she will become as obsessed as me....then again, I would enjoy the competition).

Looking back to my first triathlon, I offer this advice: Stay back at the start so you don't get swum over or kicked in the face (a personal experience from last year's race); spot the buoys early and often (to avoid a 42 minute 800 meter swim); watch out for people that just stop at the buoys (I can't explain this); take your time and concentrate on each individual discipline--while you might dread the run, focus on the swim or bike when you are in it; remember that every stroke, pedal, or step forward puts you closer to the finish line; and finally ENJOY THE RACE! If you walk away with no sense of awe at the beauty around you--you've missed the most important part of the race.